Benefit Charge Petition Process
The petition process for the 2021 Review Board has closed. The Benefit Charge Review Board is meeting on February 10th and 24th. Only submitted Petitions for Adjustment may be discussed during the Review Board Meetings.
Property information can be adjusted throughout the year for the following year’s assessment. For more detailed information, please contact us at 253-847-8811 or email us at email@example.com.
The Benefit Charge Assessment can be challenged for the following reasons:
Monitored Fire Alarms Validation:
Monitored Fire alarm discounts are only allowed for commercial and multi-family property types. Proof of service must be submitted from the alarm company stating the alarm coverage includes 24 hour monitoring of a fire alarm. The proof of service must include a current date within the past 30 days and location where the service is being provided. If validated a 7.5% reduction on the benefit charge will be applied.
Residential property types are already receiving a 7.5% discount as it is built into their residential factor, and do not need to submit proof of coverage.
Automatic Sprinkler Systems Validation:
All property types may be eligible and will receive a 10% reduction on their benefit charge once validated, the following are the qualifications for validation:
- A current proof of service (within the past 30 days) from your alarm company that clearly shows that automatic fire sprinklers are being monitored at the address of the building you are petitioning adjustment for.
- A copy of a sprinkler backflow prevention test that has been performed by a qualified sprinkler contractor or a water company within the last year stating that the test is for a fire sprinkler system at the address of the building.
- A copy of a sprinkler confidence test report performed by a qualified contractor within the past year at the address of the building.
- A copy of a fire sprinkler installation permit clearly showing that the installation has had a final inspection and is installed at the address of the building.
Hazard Factor Error Validation:
Hazard Factor errors will be reviewed by Benefit Charge Support Staff by verifying property type along with associated factors using the Graham Fire & Rescue Hazard Factors.
Fire Benefit Charge Calculation Error Validation:
Fire Benefit Calculation errors will be reviewed by Benefit Charge Support Staff by verifying property type and square footage along with their associated factors.
The following discounts are validated through the Pierce County Assessors-Treasurer’s Office:
Square Footage Validation:
Square footage is validated against the Pierce County Assessors database. This information can be found at https://atip.piercecountywa.gov.
The total square footage includes any structures on the property 400 square feet and larger. Structures below 400 square feet that are attached to another structure, such as attached garages, attics, and basements will be considered in the total square footage. Please visit the Pierce County Assessors site linked above to view a detailed breakdown of the square footage for your home.
Agricultural Discount Validation:
If validated will receive a 35% reduction on the benefit charge. Property must be granted an agricultural or farming classification by Pierce County Assessors-Treasurer’s Office.
Senior Discount Validation:
Two types of senior or disability tax relief are offered and must be obtained through Pierce County:
Property tax reduction/exemption:
- A total income set by Pierce County Assessors-Treasurer’s Office annually, and own or occupy a house, mobile home, condo or co-op as principle residence as of December 31 of the year prior to the year of application
- Are 61 years of age or older or
- are retired because of a physical disability
Property tax deferral:
- Have a combined income set by Pierce County Assessors-Treasurer’s Office annually
- Own and occupy a house, mobile home, condo, or co-op as principle residence as of December 31 of the year prior of application
- Are at least 60 years old when you file or are retired because of a disability
Once obtained through Pierce County the applied discount percentage will be the following:
- Standard Senior/disability (level 3) discount is 25%
- Partial Senior/disability (level 2) discount is 50%
- Full Senior/disability (level 1) discount is 75%